Do you have a little wanderlust in your soul?
Not afraid to take on the wild and spirited world around you?
Then you have probably already embraced the Gypsy style and don’t need to read this.
These days Gypsy inspired outfits are made up of maxi dresses, peasant tops, frilly skirts and embroidery.
Actually, it’s not much different to what made up the look in the 70s when Yves Saint Laurent was creating the look. Although YSL Gypsy looked to be more russian than the gypsy look we see now. Still struggling to imagine the look…think Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but the Disney version just won’t do for the here and now. She’s the perfect example for the gypsy fashion trend, if you amped her up and gave her some serious attitude!
How to Wear your Gypsy Spirit on your sleeve:
1. The gypsy look can be very versatile, and suit anyone regardless of body type. Gypsy outfits can be very feminine, but can also have a very masculine edge (think hats, boots, even a crisp white shirt can be gypsy). You can pair an embroidered gypsy top with a midi skirt or you can go for a gothic twist by pairing it with leather. As I said – very versatile. Work it any way you want it!
2. Get ready to show off your toned abs with this year’s hottest cropped gypsy top – See Emilio Pucci to truly understand this bare midriff look. This is a great chance to get some extra use out of the maxi dresses and skirts you have either stolen from your mum’s wardrobe or picked up while out shopping vintage. Or you can update your maxi dress with a newer style, go for an off the shoulder maxi dress which is hot this season. Shoulders can be so sexy with a covered arm. Just remember if you are a larger busted woman, get a really good strapless bra – free spirit does not mean free swinging!
3. Don’t forget to wear gypsy inspired accessories. Go for big and bold statement pieces. Choose feathers, gold and coins for a more authentic gypsy look. Big, bold earrings, layers of necklaces and add a skinny belt to your outfit to show off your waist if you haven’t gone bare.
4. Head accessories like scarves, turbans and hats are must-have for this summer. Be sure to wear a patterned scarf and wear your hair down.
5. Wear flats in nude or brown to complete your outfit. Boots, low-heeled in suede or leather or biker style work well and the more broken in, the better. If you opt for the glam gypsy look then find a great pair of heels with just a hint of fierce.
But haven’t I just broken every Gypsy “rule”?
Which is NO rules dictated by others!